Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Swiss Cheese Scalloped Potatoes

Crock Pot: Slow Cooker Recipes Magazine, 2009 Issue

I've been trying to use my crock pot more these days. I have way too many kitchen appliances and almost never use half of them. Since my back surgery, I've been trying to stay off my feet so my crock pot is my savor right now! I just got another for Christmas 2009 so you know I have to gather up some new recipes to use in my crock pots! ;) My cousin sent me her Crock Pot Slow Cooker Recipes magazine by mistake when she was sending me a Get Well package and I'm glad she did! LOL! Thanks cousin Sylle...I love you!

One reason I haven't used my crock pot is because I do not like wet food. I like my food to be nice and crispy/solid...not all wet and mushy. Yuck! So when I saw this recipe in the Slow Cooker Recipes magazine I wasn't too sure about this. I just prayed on it and hope all went well because lawd knows Swiss cheese cost too much to be wasting! haha

Well peeps, this is worth trying! It didn't come out wet or mushy which I loved the best because I can't stand that type of texture of any kind of food that I eat! LOL

Ingredients:

2lbs baking potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced, divided
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion, divided
1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, divided
2 Tbsps butter, cut into small pieces, divided
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
3 ounces Swiss cheese slices, torn into small pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (optional)


Layer half the potatoes, 1/4 cup onion, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and 1 Tbsp butter in Crock Pot. Repeat layers. Cover; cook on Low 7 hours or on High 4 hours.

Remove potatoes with slotted spoon to serving dish and cover with foil to keep warm. Blend milk and flour in small bowl until smooth. Stir mixture into cooking liquid. Add cheese; stir to combine. Turn Crock Pot to High. Cover; cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir. Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and serve.

Garnish with chopped green onions, if desired.

I didn't have any green onions on hand so I didn't use any!

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment