Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The story behind my love for Chicken Feet!!! LOL Ready. Go! LOL





 




STEWED CHICKEN FEET!!!! My all time favorite! LOL God bless my Grandma's soul! She was the best cook I've ever met! R.I.P. Grandma! My grandma didn't play when it came to her kitchen or nothing else for that matter! She'd put a switch to your ass in a heart beat! LMAO! That brings me to the introduction of my love for chicken feet! When I was about 10 or 11 years old I was visiting my grandma in Summerton, SC one summer. It was hot and me and my cousins was bored as hell! So my grandma had a pot on the stove cooking and one of my cousin said, "Hey Jill, you want to see something gross?" First I said no but then asked "what is it?". He said, "come look. She makes these nasty things all the time and try to get us to eat it!". So I thought to my self...how bad can it be? If grandma's eating it, it can't be that bad. So we goes in the kitchen and my cousin open up the pot. At first I couldn't see anything, until one revealed it's self and I almost shit my pants! I started screaming and hollering while my cousin ran like hell! There I am in the kitchen screaming and crying my eyes out and in comes my grandma! All hell broke loose...she whooped my behind then fixed me a huge plate of those freaky looking things! I'm sitting there crying for my mom and dad! She then told me that I can cry all I want but I was still eating them. Then she said, it's wise to eat them before they get cold because them are some nasty suckers when their cold and that she wasn't heating them back up either! I thought I was going to fucking die and go to heaven right there on the spot! So after thinking it over and staring at this woman who I once thought was sweet as pie with the smirk on her face and the thin switch (that she whooped me with) still in her hands I said fuck it! She's not giving up and I don't want another one of her ass whoopings....I slowly put one finger in my mouth and bit it off! I hear my grandma in the back ground "that's what's wrong with you spoiled behind city kids, don't know good food when you see it! Eating all that damn garbage! That'll teach your behind to stay out of my pots! " Then she started laughing and said, "you might even like it!". OMG...It was my first bite of love!!!! LOL! My grandma was a sweet lady just strict! She was the type who would discipline and then baby you later! After a butt whooping she'd say, "Now give grandma a kiss and lets go into town and grab some ice cream!" Aggghhh...I tell you! I didn't understand back then but raising kids of my own I truly understand now!

After that summer, I went home and told my mom that I wanted her to make some for me! She was shocked! LOL My mother love them too but never made it because she knew she wouldn't get us to eat them! haha I've been eating them ever since! Of course I switched up the recipe for my liking. I pass it on to my kids and they love them as well! My girls are nothing like me when I was growing up...I was a picky eater! They don't mind trying almost anything at least once! As you can see from the pics, there is almost never a dull moment in the Isreal's household! We rarely play with our food but since my love for chicken feet freaks some of my friends out we decide to fool around a bit! The girls built little sculptures with their bones just to get under my friends skin. CTFU! Kids...gotta love em!

I miss and will always love you grandma!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I loved this story the first time you told it to me! Funny as hell. I still think those feet look freaky and I don't know if I could bring myself to try one, especially after knowing you gotta clip the damn nails off before cooking them, but I must say, I always think of you and your girls when I see chicken feet. ~KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know KB...they are not for everyone! LOL!

    ReplyDelete