Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pigeon Peas and Rice



I truly love this dish. The aroma and flavors are so welcoming! Sorry I don't have any pics to share but the next time I make some I will definitely take a pic. Jazzie's dad showed me how to make this dish years ago and I've been making it ever since. As time went on, I've added extra ingredients to what he showed me for my liking. Measurements varies depending on the amount you'd like to make.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 can coconut milk
4 ounces dried pigeon peas (soaked over night)
2 cups rice
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 scotch bonnet pepper (whole, do not chop)
Salt & pepper, to taste
water

In a stew pot, heat 1 Tbsp oil. Stir in the brown sugar until it has almost caramelized. Add peas, can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid, onions, garlic, thyme, remaining oil, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook for about 1/2 or 1 hour, until peas are softened. Add rice and stir for a minute. Reduce heat to Medium-low. Place scotch bonnet pepper on top of liquid and cover tightly for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.

Remove scotch bonnet pepper before serving.

Enjoy!



Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha the picture looks like your in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica Mon'. I love it

    ReplyDelete