Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pecan Pie

Christmas 2008: My friend, Kevin begged me to baked him a pecan pie for Christmas. All because someone gave him a slice one day. As I have stated before, I am not a baker but I'm not bad at it either. So since he gave me the money for the ingredients, I was tied into a legal binding contract! LOL! That is how it works right? SMH! The things I do for my friends but it's worth it! They are good to me and my girls so this is nothing. Besides...I enjoy experimenting anyway! ;)

Browsing the Internet for a recipe I finally came across one (can't remember which site I found it on). While reading the recipe I thought to myself (ewwww...this is going to be to sweet for me. Oh well, it's for a friend and I did promise I'd make it for him.) I'm not into the sweets area. I'm more of a savory girl and a chip lover! Well the pie turned out great and it wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be at all!


Put 1 cup of pecans in the microwave for 1 minute. Take out and turn them over and put back in for another minute. If they don't look done, put them in for another minute.

Chop the pecans so that each has been chopped in half.

Pie Crust (I brought I frozen one):
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 6 Tbsps unsalted butter
- 6 Tbsps shortening
- 6 to 8 Tbsps ice water

Mix in a large bowl 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 Tbsp sugar. The mix in 6 Tbsps butter, 6 Tbsps shortening, and 6 to 8 Tbsps ice water.


*I just wanted to add photos to this blog.  3/17/2013


Wrap pie crust in plastic wrap; then place in the frig for at least 20 minutes or as long as it takes you to make the pie filling.

Pie Filling:
- 1 cup white corn syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
-1/3 tsp salt
-1/3 cup melted butter
-1 tsp vanilla
-3 eggs
-2 cups roasted pecans

Melt butter; preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1 cup corn syrup, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/3 tsp salt and tsp vanilla in a bowl and mix. Slightly beat eggs and the add eggs to the batter and stir well.

Take pie dough out and roll it out flat. It should be 1/8 of an inch in thickness. Apply more flour to rolling pin. Wrap the dough around pin and unroll it into pie pan. Cut off excess crust.

Pinch around the edge so it folds in half. Now go around the edges and pinch to create a wave shape. Pour in filling. Sprinkle 2 cups of pecans on the top of the pie filling. Some pecans will sink into the filling, while others will remain on top. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

After pie has been in over for about 30 minutes, take it out, put foil around the edges to keep from burning. Return to oven. After an hour, stick a knife in the middle to test for doneness. If the knife comes out clean, its done.

Enjoy!

My girls had another great Christmas and so did Tipsy (our cat)!


















































Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

2 comments: