Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Asian-Style Beef Short Ribs

One Perfect Bite Blog
I was craving for some beef ribs again! LOL! For some reason, when someone mention Beef ribs I just have to have some! So I wanted to try this Asian crock pot recipe that I've had for about a year but couldn't find it for nothing! I knew I'd find it after I make this dish! LOL! Can't you tell this was not going to be a smooth ride? So my MySpace Food Forum buddies, John and KB, helped me out by sending some recipes my way and I chose the Asian-Style Beef Short Ribs that KB sent me. While prepping, I saw that I was out of brown sugar! Aggghhhh! So both of them said...I'm sure you have molasses on hand! LOL Great minds think alike huh? ;) With Krista and John's help...I'm made my own brown sugar! OK...looking at the recipe again I notice that I didn't have any rice wine! So I say to myself, "Who in the hell doesn't want me to make this damn dish!" For some reason I thought it said rice vinegar which I did have! :/ I was beginning to get pissed off now! I'm making this damn recipe, I said out loud! All I knew was that I wanted some beef ribs! Thanks guys!

Ok...I looked up an substitute for rice wine and found that I can use Dry Sherry instead which I did have on hand! Jeeezzzzz! The Molasses and reg. sugar worked just fine in place of the brown sugar! Thank God! lol I was getting a little pissed off with this recipe! LOL

Ingredients:

4 to 5 pounds beef short ribs
1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and tender green
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine (I used Dry Sherry instead)
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce or sriracha (I used both)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (I made my own by using molasses & regular sugar!)
2 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame seeds


Directions:
1) Spray interior of a 5 5o 6 quart crock-pot liner with nonstick spray. Place ribs in crock-pot. (That's after I trimmed the fat off)

2) Combine scallions, soy sauce, wine, chili garlic sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Whisk to combine. Pour over ribs. Cook on LOW until ribs are fork tender, about 6 to 7 hours.




3) Remove ribs to a platter. Tent with foil. Pour cooking liquid into a 1 quart saucepan. Skim off fat. Stir in sesame oil. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1/4 cup water. Add to liquid and bring to a boil, cooking until sauce thickens. Spoon glaze over ribs. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Can you believe after all the trouble I was having I forgot to sprinkle the damn sesame seeds on top! LOL Oh well...the ribs was delish. Jazzie didn't like them but me and Beena was kind of happy...more for us! ;p LOL

I served the ribs with white rice and collard greens!



Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't tried beef short ribs! They are hard to find around here and when I do see them, they are spendy as hell. These look so good, though. Can't wait to try them. ~KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes KB...they are expensive! I hope you can find some soon for a reasonable price!

    ReplyDelete