Thursday, February 25, 2010

Grilled Pizza w. Summer Vegetables & Fontina Cheese

Cooking Pleasures Magazine
8/7/2009

I've never grilled a pizza before and boy was this the best pizza ever I ever made! I made two of these babies and they were truly delish! The girls don't care for onions and tomatoes that much but they truly enjoyed this pizza. Using the sweet onions made it easy on the taste buds. This was also my first time trying Fontina cheese and I truly enjoyed it! I use it in my Baked Macaroni & Cheese . haha! Did I tell you how much I love cheese? Yummy!




1 1/2 Tbsps Olive oil, divided
12 asparagus spears, sliced
1/2 large sweet onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced (I added yellow pepper too!)
1 (14 oz) baked pizza crust
1 large tomato, sliced (I'm going to slice mines as thin as possible!)
1 cup cubed fontina cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (I didn't have fresh basil so I used a little dried basil)
1/2 tsp coarse salt

*I didn't use the green pepper because I felt it would over power the taste of the other veggies.


Heat 1/2 Tbsp of the oil in large skillet over med.-high heat until hot. Cook asparagus 2 to 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally; remove asparagus. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp oil in same skillet until hot. Cook onion and bell pepper 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. (I cooked my veggies for lesser time because I like mines crunchy!)

Heat grill. Place crust on large baking sheet (I used my pizza pan); arrange tomato slices over crust. top with asparagus, onion and bell pepper; sprinkle with cheese. Slide pizza onto grill. Grill, covered, over low heat or coals 10 to 15 minutes or until bottom of crust is crisp and dark brown and cheese is melted, rotating crust occasionally. Sprinkle with basil and salt. Add a little red crush pepper for some heat and your good to go!!!

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. yes!!! the official best pizza ever! I wish we could fire up the grill now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried Fontina cheese! That pizza looks lip smackin' good.

    ReplyDelete