Saturday, February 27, 2010

Onion Rings

I made this for my housewarming a few years ago. I believe I found this is one of my Rachael Ray Magazines but not too sure. Like I meantioned in my Egg Roll blog, I didn't have time to take pics! Next time I make this I will add a little more salt because they didn't have enough flavor to me. But everyone else enjoyed it.

Ingredients:

1 cup plus 2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tsp coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup beer
1 large egg
4 cups peanut oil
2 large white onions, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick and separated into rings

Combine flour, cumin, cayenne, and 1 tsp salt in a med. bowl. Slowly whisk in buttermilk, beer, and egg until smooth. Let batter stand 15 minutes.

In a large saucepan, heat oil over med.-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375. Working in batches, dip onion slices in batter, turning to coat. Gently drop slices into hot oil. Cook, turning rings once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. (Adjust heat between batches as necessary to keep oil at a steady temperature.)

Use a slotted spoon to transfer rings to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Season immediately with salt.

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment