Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Chicken with Rice and Beans

 


So I was back to searching my recipe books for recipes I've had forever and haven't tried yet! I was brave with this one out since I used two parts of the chicken that I can't stand...thighs and legs! :( I thought it couldn't be too bad in a dish like this...lots of flavors! Yummy! It's been so long so I don't remember where I found this recipe from. OMG...what a delicious dish! I couldn't even tell that I was eating dark meat! LOL Yummy!!!

1 Tbsp cooking oil
4 chicken thighs
4 chicken drumsticks
1 3/4 tsps salt
1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper (I used peppercorn medley as usual)
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes (I used Fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic)
1/2 cup bottled piminetos, drained
1 2/3 cups drained and rinsed black beans (I used dried not canned...so I soaked them over night)
1 cup rice, preferably medium-grain (I used Organic long-grain white rice)
1 3/4 cups water
2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsley
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
4 lime wedges (optional)
*I added red peppers.

I chopped the quarter legs in half. And yes people for goodness sake people, CLEAN THE CHICKEN not RINSE IT OFF! NASTY!!!!

In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Season the chicken with 1/4 tsp of the salt and the pepper and add to the pan. Cook, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in all. Remove. Pour off all but 1 Tbsps of the fat from the pan.

Add the onions and red peppers to the pan and reduce the heat to moderately low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds longer. Add the tomatoes and piminetos, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Stir in the beans, rice, water, parsley, the remaining 1 1/2 tsps of salt, and the cayenne, and arrange the chicken on top in an even layer.

After the beans are done cooking, drain them...

Bring to a boil and simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 12 minutes. Turn the drumsticks and reduce the heat to very low. Cover and cook until the chicken and rice are just done, about 15 minutes longer. Serve with the lime wedges, if using.

I served this with some salad!

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the yucky legs & thighs, but sometimes you find a recipe where they lend themselves very well. Your photo makes it look delicious! ~KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Yes, you know we are wing lovers! haha Thanks hun!

    ReplyDelete