Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spicy BBQ Sauce II

I love me some BBQ beef ribs and chicken!  It can be grilled or baked but I'd prefer grilled!  Yummy!  I try to play around with my BBQ sauces from time to time when I'm not using Kraft or Open Pit BBQ sauce.  I don't like the sweet or smokey kind of BBQ sauce.  Although this recipe includes honey, you can't taste the honey that much...it pretty much balance it out.  And I sure don't like those teriyaki sauces either.  Yuck!  It's something about teriyaki that just don't agree with my taste buds!  I've been meaning to try making my own teriyaki sauce one day to see if it makes a differences.  One day soon...  I like mines spicy and with a kick!   So I try to keep it simple!  My mom makes the best BBQ sauce ever!  I need to bug her one of these days with her recipe!  All I can remember is mustard, ketchup and lots of red pepper flakes!  LOL!  Oh man...

Ok...back to the recipe.  This really lights a fire to your mouth!  So for less heat you might want to adjust the ingredients.  Maybe leave out the cayenne and add less crushed red pepper.  Heat is my best friend so I love it!  ;)

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp garlic, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp EVOO
1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
1/3 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/2 Tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 or more pinches cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest

Saute onion and garlic in EVOO for about 3 minutes or until tender.  Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. 

You can use this for basting meat while grilling, oven cooking, etc. 

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment