Monday, March 22, 2010

Indian Spiced Beef Patties

Back in August 2009 I was going through my recipe books again.  I'll have to take pictures of my kitchen bible's (my homemade recipe books) one day and blog about them.  Anyway, these were the best burgers ever!!!  Taste sort of like a Gyro...minus the cucumber taste.  hehe

I used ground spices except for the fennel seeds because I had them on hand and wasn't going out to spend $25 or more on spices I already have!  I did have to buy the cardamom seeds because I didn't have any and I couldn't find the pods either!  OMG...I love the smell of fennel!  My kitchen was smelling lovely when I was toasting the spices...especially when I started grinding the fennel seeds using my mortar and pestle!  Ahhhhh....

Then I was pissed off because I couldn't find my fresh cilantro that I brought the other day!  I brought two containers and couldn't find neither one of them so I had to used dried cilantro!  Boy was I pissed!!!  I must have left them at the grocery store...so I thought!  Two days later while I was going through my grocery bags that were left unpacked BINGO!  You know I really was pissed!  Since my back surgery, I can't bend down so that's the kids job to unpack the groceries, etc.  I was sure Sabrina passed me the cilantro to put in the fridge that day.  SMH!

You might want to make less sauce because I had plenty leftover but none went to waste.  I used the sauce as a dressing for my salad the next day and as a dipping sauce for my carrots!  Truly delish guys!  ;)

Ingredients:

Spice Blend

2 tsps coriander seeds (I used ground coriander)
1 tsp cumin seeds (ground)
1 tsp fennel seeds
6 cardamom pods, seeds removed, pods discarded (ground)
2 whole cloves (ground)

Sauce

1/2 cup plain yogurt, preferably greek
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (I used dried so used less amount)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp coarse salt

Beef

2 Tbsps olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 tsps minced garlic
1 1/2 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsps coarse salt, divided
1/2 tsp black pepper, divided
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper


Pitas

8 pita flatbreads, warmed (I used Whole Wheat Pita Bread)
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup diced tomato (I used canned diced tomatoes because I got lazy!  LOL)

Heat small dry skillet over medium heat until hot.  Add all spice blend ingredients; toast 2 to 3 minutes or until spices are fragrant, stirring constantly to prevent burning.  Grind spices in spice grinder or with mortar and pestle.  *I was so busy rushing I forgot to take a picture of this part!  Sorry guys!  :(*

Place 1 tsp of the spice blend in small bowl; stir in all sauce ingredients.  Refrigerate.


Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot.  Cook onion and garlic 5 minutes or until onion is softened.  Place in large bowl; refrigerate 10 minutes to cool.
Add all remaining beef ingredients and remaining spice blend; gently min until well-blended.  Form into 8 (4x3 inch) oval patties about 1/2 inch thick.  Heat grill.  Grill patties, covered, over medium heat or coals 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center, turning once.  Place on warm pitas; fold pitas.  Top with sauce, red onion and tomato.



 Not your perfect shaped patties but they were perfect for me, my family and friends!  :)

Tried and it was delish!

Can't you tell?  LOL!


And there you have it....Indian Spiced Beef Patties!!!  Yummy!

Enjoy!


Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment