Monday, March 22, 2010

Mexican Baked Cheese Shells

A few weeks ago I tried to whip this together and it didn't come out good to me. The kids and Kevin enjoyed it but I found it to be way too dry! I had brought some Taco Cheese blend but I can't remember the brand. I usually don't buy any other kind of shredded cheese except for Kraft. I had actually brought that brand because I did try it before on my taco salad and it was good. So I brought some more for my tacos but since I didn't make the tacos I wanted to use the cheese before it went bad. I guess it's just not good for melting...SMH!

Well last night I tried my hand at this dish again! This time I had my Kraft cheese and used the Mexican Style Cheddar Jack and baby it was the bomb! ;) I served this dish with baked BBQ beef short ribs, collard greens, white rice and corn bread! Yummy!!!!!  2nd time around was a charm!  Next time I want to add a little cream cheese to it. 

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk or more
5 to 6 Tbsps butter, melted
2 (8oz) pkgs Mexican Style Cheddar Jack
S&P, to taste
1 lb. med shells, cooked
1 1/2 Tbsps Hot Mexican-Style Chili Powder
3 Tbsps Hot Chipotle Salsa

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  

Prepare shells as directed on box.  Drain and place shells in a baking dish.  In a small mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, and chili powder; whisk well.  Add the egg mixture, cheese, salsa, S&P, and butter to the baking dish; stir every thing together real good; and bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes.   After the 1st 10 minutes or so, remove baking dish from the oven and stir so that the cheese that has melted can blend throughout the dish.  Then return dish to the oven and let it cook until done. 


Enjoy!


Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I don't buy shredded cheese anymore because I don't like that weird stuff they coat it with to keep it from sticking to itself. I also found that it inhibits the melting process as well. It's not harmful to ingest, but I kind of like paying for JUST cheese and eating JUST cheese. I used to get the pre-shredded mozzarella for homemade pizza, but was irritated that it wouldn't melt nicely.

    Here is what I found on what that powdered stuff is:

    Method of treating a divided cheese product for anticaking

    United States Patent 5626893

    "An anticaking agent which reduces the stickiness of the chunked, diced, or shredded cheese and improves the functionality of cheese is formulated of fine mesh vegetable flour, bentonite, cellulose, and antimycotic agents or bacterial cultures. This anticaking agent also will reduce the yeast and mold growth. This discovery is also extended to include various flavors, colors, enzymes and other supplements into the anticaking agent, to ultimately add to the cheese."

    Interesting, huh! At any rate, your dinner looks delish. Thankfully reading blogs is a calorie-free activity!

    ReplyDelete