Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Kickin Collard Greens

I don't remember where I got this recipe from but I do remember I was watching TV so it's possible that it was from Food Network (FN). The first time I made this I added the salt during cooking time and boy oh boy...Yuck! I just knew my pressure would shoot up sky high! SMH! So now when I make this dish I just add salt if needed, while I'm eating. I probably added too much. I always make over 1 lb. of collard greens when I cook them because I look forward to the 2nd day. Greens taste better the 2nd day to me because the greens soak up all the flavors and the red pepper flakes really kicks in....Yummy!

I do have a question for those who freeze their leftovers! I never done this before but the one time I tried freezing some collard greens once and when I tried to reheat them they were so nasty...soggy and flavorless! Yuck! My mom does this all the time and hers always taste fresh like she just made them! Of cause she can't explain...you know how old school cooks are. Their explanation is always, "It just comes out that way. I don't know. You must be doing something wrong!". Hmmm...HELLO!!! You think? LOL! So can you guys help me out? How do you still keep your greens fresh and crispy? Thanks in advance!

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
3 slices of bacon
1 lg onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt & pepper
3 cups chicken broth
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 lb. collard greens

Heat oil in large pot; add bacon and cook until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble and return to the pan. Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just fragrant. Add collard greens and fry until they start to wilt.

Pour in Chicken broth and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.

Enjoy!


Jill's Comfort Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment