Saturday, March 20, 2010

Beans with Steak Chili

I got this recipe from my friend Little c! Oh man...talk about delicious and fulling! I made mines in the crock pot instead of over the store with minor adjustments and it turned out great!!!  I made enough for two days.  Day 1 I served the chili with some long grain rice topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream and garlic bread.  Day 2 I served it with spaghetti noodles topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream and chives.


Ingredients:
2 Tbsps olive oil
1 lb. hot & spicy ground pork sausages
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. chuck steak, fat trimmed, cut into cubes
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (using the can from the tomatoes) water
2 Tbsps ground cumin
3 Tbsps chili powder
2 tsps dried oregano
2 tsps salt
1 1/2 tsps cayenne pepper
3 (6oz) cans tomato paste
2 tsps sugar
2 (14 oz) cans tomatoes
3 cups diced onions
3 cups diced green peppers
3 cups dried black beans, pre-soaked overnight
1 cup dried kidney beans, pre-soaked overnight
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
About 2 3/4 cups beef broth
Grated cheddar cheese


Add black beans, kidney beans and beef broth 3/4 cup at a time, until thinned to desired consistency, into crock pot.  Cook approx. 2 hours High. 

Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over med.-high heat.  Add ground pork and ground beef and saute until brown, about 3 minutes.  Add cubed beef and garlic and saute 5 minutes.  Add 1 can of water; bring to boil.  Add cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and cayenne.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.  Add tomato paste and sugar and simmer 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, onions and peppers and simmer until veggies are semi tender. 

Add meat mixture to the beans in the crock and cook for about 4 more hours.


Enjoy!


Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. That is a HUGE pot of chili. Jeez, we'd be eating on that for a week, I'm sure. Do you cook your beans on the stove before putting them in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well of cause I gave some away! LMAO! No I didn't cook my beans on the stove before putting them in the crock pot. Thanks for saying something...I have to add that I also soaked them overnight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried chili with rice or spaghetti, but it sounds good. Might have to make this sometime in the near future! So the beans come out ok in crock pot, huh? I've never tried cooking them in there, but always wondered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the beans comes out fine! Please do try and let me know how it all turns out! ;)

    ReplyDelete