Sunday, March 24, 2013

Potato Soup with Sausage



Hello my devoted readers!  It feels good to me rid of that nasty cold I was fighting last weekend!  I haven't been sick like that all year...glad that's behind me.  I'm not a soup fan at all.  If I do indulge, it must be chunky and not watery.  Since I was under the weather, I knew I needed something other than water, tea, and DayQuil!  Something that would stick to my bones and help fight off whatever it was that had me down.  I've always wanted to try some Potato Soup but just never wanted to make it until now.

I found this recipe in Taste of Home's "Special 10th Anniversary Edition" Family Favorites Recipe book written by: Dorothy Althause, from Magalia, California!  Girl I have to say thank you for sharing your great-grandmother's recipe.  This was truly easy to make and delish!!!!  I must give you and your great-grandmother props.  Gladly to say, two days later I was back to normal.  Thanks again hun!  I added a few ingredients of course.  And I didn't puree the ingredients after it was done cooking.  Oh and forgive me, I forgot to take a picture of the parsley garnish...I was so hungry!  LOL!



Ingredients:

1lb pork sausage links, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsps all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 ozs) chicken broth
1/2 cup water
4 med. potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup milk
1 cup green beans

Chopped fresh parsley

In a heavy skillet, brown sausage over medium heat.  Remove sausage and set aside.  Drain all but 1 Tbsp drippings; saute celery, onion, thyme and salt until onion is tender.  Stir in flour; cook 1 minute.  Gradually add broth and water, stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.

Add potatoes, sausages and green beans (if you like your green beans crunchy like me, add when the potatoes are almost done); cover and simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  In between the 25 minutes, when it starts to thicken a little, add milk and stir. 

 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jill! This sounds delicious! I want to try the recipe, but I hope you don't mind if I leave out the green beans. I don't mind green beans when they're fresh-picked and eaten raw in a salad, but I don't like them when they're cooked. Soup is one of my favorite foods in the whole wide world.
    Debbie (in Japan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie! This was truly good! I hope you like it.

      Delete