Sunday, March 20, 2011

Stewed Salmon Steaks

I just love this dish!!!  When me and my daughter, Jazzie's, father (Magic) was dating I started adoring stewed dishes.  Yes, they call him Magic...he got that name from playing Soccer he told me.  I gather he did magical things with the Soccer ball.  I don't know...I forgot the story.  LOL!  He's from Jamaica and their always eating stew fish, stewed chicken, stewed oxtails, beans...you name it they were stewing it!  Well it was always delish!  The spices, aroma, taste...I just love it all!  He was heavy handed on the plum tomatoes but since the girls and I don't really like tomatoes that much I use it lightly in my dishes.  Growing up from a family who always fried or baked most of their meats and seafood this was very different for me.  Don't get me wrong I've had stewed food before but more like stew beef, etc.  My Step dad, Pablo (R.I.P.) use to make stewed dishes as well.  He was from Honduras.  But he use to stew fish heads and stuff like that and I wasn't with that...at the time.  LOL!  I mean he use to leave the eye balls in and it freak me out!!!  As I got older and on my own I started testing the waters.  Not as much with stewed fish heads but fried!  Very tasty! 

Well there's nothing to this recipe.  I don't have measurements...you just go with the flow!  

I just season the steaks with salt, pepper, cayenne (if you like it spicy; you can also use red pepper flakes too instead of the cayenne) and paprika. Brown the in a sauce pan with olive oil. Remove to the side; draining on some paper towel.





Then I chop up some onions, green and red peppers, garlic and tomatoes season with salt and pepper. Sauté the onions, peppers first until soft then add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes. Don't burn the garlic. You can use canned or fresh tomatoes. Then you add the tomatoes to the onion mixture (if you use the canned tomatoes, pour the juice in too) with some fresh lemon or lime juice.




Bring to simmer then return the salmon to the pan and cover. Cover for about 5 to 7 minutes more. I like a little crust on mines so I sometimes take the sauce pan and put it in a 350 degrees oven and bake uncovered for about 5 minutes or so.  And that's all to it! 

I served this with some french cut green beans, baked potatoes with cheese, sour cream and sprinkle of dried parsley and some salad.

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment