Sunday, March 20, 2011

Navy Beans and Turkey Necks

I love me some comfort food! This dish reminds me of my Grandma...the Carolina days! I truly miss this woman! Talking about cook!!! Oooooooooo...this lady use to cook her butt off! Mmmmmm...my she R.I.P.! I miss you so much!

When I first made this I was looking for something fulling and I didn't have much in the house at this time. I was being lazy and didn't feel like going food shopping! LOL! Who doesn't love beans and every southern family loves them some neck bones! Now you know you have to have some neck bones or turkey necks on hand at all times! Never know when you're ready to make some collard greens, corn bread stuffing, or whatever! It's hard to find fresh turkey necks here in Pittsburgh when it's not around Thanksgiving and Christmas. What a shame!

This is yet another recipe that I just eye ball the ingredients. The longest part to this dish is soaking the beans. I usually soak my beans over night. So I would start here first...soaking the beans so you don't have to cook them all day long! Each time I make these beans I add something different to it. So whatever you taste buds are calling for throw it in! ;) I think I'm going to make these beans in the crock pot next time!

Get you a bag of dried white or navy beans. A pack of fresh Turkey Necks or Neck bones. Chop up some onions, green peppers and garlic. Throw every thing in a pot. Add some EVOO, beef broth, salt, pepper, paprika and red crushed peppers to the pot and cook for about 2 and a 1/2 hours.

Enjoy!




Jill's Comfort Zone
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment