Saturday, April 17, 2010

Five-Can Chili

Taste of Home

Another one of my all time favorite quick meals when your pressed for time!  I'm not a big fan of canned foods...don't know why but I just don't do it.  Something about my veggies/beans sealed in a can just doesn't sit right with me.   I do use can tomatoes though.  LOL!  I'm silly like that at times.  I grew up on canned veggies so don't know why I shy away from it now.  I usually buy dried beans, fresh or frozen veggies.  Anyway, we rarely have meatless meals in my house.  I'm a BIG meat eater and I get that from my mom!  One night I didn't have anything in the freezer and I was too lazy to go food shopping.  I don't buy meat from Get Go (a gas station that near by with a mini mart and is affiliated with Giant Eagle) anymore because when I first moved to Pittsburgh I brought a pack of chicken wings from them one time.  When I got home and was preparing to clean them...I open the pack and BAM!!!!  Whew...they were spoiled and I can't believe I couldn't smell that through the package!  That mess stinked up the damn house!!!  SMH!  I was so pissed!  Anyway, I saw this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine and said, "Bingo"!  I always keep cans of tomatoes on hand so all I need to go get was the rest of the items.  I marched down to Get Go to get the rest of the canned goods I needed to complete my meal.  How bad could their canned goods be right?  I pondered over this for about an hour before I said, freak it!  SMH!  We had to eat right?  LOL!  Well this meal was quick, easy and delish!  Nothing was wrong with the canned goods either.  Haha!  I'm a mess...I know!  ;)

Ingredients:
1 can (15 ounces) chili with beans
1 can (15 ounces) mixed vegetables, drained
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
*Of cause I added a little salt, pepper and cayenne to this dish! 

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients; heat through.

Yup...it's that simple!  You can't go wrong when your freezer is on E (empty)!  LOL!  I just served the chili over some long-grain rice. 

Enjoy!

Jill's Comfort Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment