Saturday, February 2, 2013

Piri Piri Chicken



My foodie friend, Julie, posting pictures of her camping adventure and the delicious food they made on facebook a few weeks ago.  Oh man did they have an awesome spread!  She had a picture of this delicious Piri Piri chicken!  I just had to make it!  It was Labor day weekend and I wanted something different to grill.  My mom was still in town and she's a little picky.  She's not open to new things...she's stuck on her old school southern food.  LOL!  She wants her smoked pig tails, ham hocks, okras and fried pork chops.  Ha!  I couldn't find the Piri Piri sauce at the market so I searched the internet and found a Piri Piri Sauce recipe on Cookaz.com. This chicken was truly delish!  Thanks Julie for introducing me to this delish recipe.  I will be making this again.  The chicken came out nice and juicy!  My children invited some of their friends over and we had a great time!


Sauce Ingredients and directions:

4 fresh hot chili peppers (jalapeno, poblano or similar), chopped

8 Tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
 
10 - 12 Tbsp olive oil (or more to achieve desired consistency)
 
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper or red pepper (adjust quantity to taste)
 
2 tsp garlic powder
 
2 Tbsp paprika
 
2 tsp salt
 
2 Tbsp dried oregano (or to taste)

 




Combine all ingredients in a blender and process to a smooth paste. Taste and adjust with salt, pepper, 

cayenne pepper and paprika.  Refrigerate for at least 24 hours to allow flavors to develop.   



I should have made more sauce but this did the trick.  After you have split the chicken open down the middle, cleaned the chicken and  removed the rib bones, rub the chicken generously with the Piri Piri sauce inside out.  Make sure you put some of the sauce under the skin. Place chicken in a glass dish and marinate for up to 12 hours in the fridge.






 Tuck in the wings.  





Get the grill nice and hot!  Grill for a bout 1 1/2 hours.  Keep basting with leftover sauce. 





 My girls love when their Grandma is in town.  She spoils them to death!  This was one of our game nights and Sabrina won.  Psst...don't tell my mom that because she claims that this was her victory!  LOL

Enjoy!


Jill's Comfort Zone

No comments:

Post a Comment